Grievous Juggernaut Website
April 16, 2024, 07:25:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Simple Paper and Pencil RTS

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Paper and Pencil RTS  (Read 1522 times)
Juggernaut
The Best Thing Ever
Administrator

I rock.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2007, 11:08:20 am »

So basically this is a really simple strategy game that you can play with just a DM (Dungeon Master, I guess GM would apply better but I don't feel like breaking the habit) and one person, although multiple people are good with 3 or 4 players plus the DM being the optimal number. The only materials you need are a composition or spiral notebook, a pencil, the players, and some dice (I would say a d6, a d10, a d20, and a d100, which is a ten sided die except it has 00, 10, 20, etc.) So, where to start first? How about units.

Probably the most important unit in the game is the Scout. They cost 10 wealth initially (in future epochs things like scout ships will cost more) and no recources (once again, scout ships and the like will cost resources since they can't just be born and trained), and eachg country starts with 2. Scouts can find resources (determined by rolling a d10. 1-3 is iron, 7-10 is wood. I havent gotten past this stage yet, so I'm not sure how I'm going to factor in new resources), including resource dumps like mineral veins and forests, they can discover other nations, and can be upgraded into Spies for 5 or 10 wealth, that's up to you as I haven't reached that point in my game yet. Spies can infiltrate enemy nations and either steal techs and tech points or sabotage. As for mineral veins (thus forth referred to as mines) and forests, one wood or iron or coal or whatever is harvested when the scout finds it, but in the turns after that they must be operated by Engineers. Engineers also build buildings and are able to fix buildings and to some extent vehicles. Engineers cost 10 to train and you must have a school, which can be built by an engineer for 1-3 wood (your call). This same rule applies to Scientists. these dudes are very important because they get you tech points and let you research new technologies. In the first stage of the game, techs are avaiable via researching a material, mainly Iron and Wood. When you research a material, it is destroyed. You roll a d20 (maybe something else later once the techs are better) and if you get a 15 or more you get a discovery, determined by rolling a d10 (you can figure out your own way to place the different discoveries on the d10, but my way is to have one tech in one half, like wheels for 1-5, and the other in the other half, like boats in 6-10). This is where tech points come in. Instead of researching a discovery, your scientist(s) can get a tech point at one per scientist per turn. The more tech points you have, the easier it is to get a discovery because each point adds 1 range ont your roll. For example: I want to research iron. I have 3 tech points and I decide to use them all. instead of 15 and above, now I only need a 12 or up (15-3=12). I roll a 14. Now, I don't get those 2 tech points back even though I didnt need them because they were already used. Now i roll a d10 to determine my discovery. I can either get: iron tools and nails (1-3), iron weapons and armor (4-7), or steel (8-10). I roll a 10 so I discover steel, but I cant make any until I get some coal, which needs iron tools to be discovered so i can mine it. Thats all for now, tell me how you like it and I'll put more if you guys want.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'd talk to you, but then I'd have to talk to you" -Ascalon Guard
www.nerfhaven.com
http://thefoamfighters.smfforfree.com/index.php
The Menagerie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Grievous
Supreme CIS commander
Administrator

Chao Jedi!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 02:40:20 pm »

What if scout ships COULD be born and trained?
Report Spam   Logged

Grievous: Droid general, jedi hunter, flash artist.
Hero

Adopted from Chao Mart

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum